December 31, 2009

Wrapping up 2009...

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Started making soaps, attended Dog Obedience Class, started a new job in a new town with a longer commute. Planned a trip and went to Provence. Bought a Buick. Met with a personal trainer. Went snowshoeing, Booked an all-inclusive.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?


Here's what I wrote last year: I haven't come up with anything solid. I am, of course, trying to cut back on the industrial-sized quantities of sweets and crap I've been shoveling down my gullet over the holidays and shape it up for some spring weddings we have coming. There...vague, huh?

Did I keep that... eh. Not so much. I mean, my size and food intake didn't really fluctuate throughout the year. So eh. That was a wash.

Resolutions for 2010:

• Write more. Like almost every day. I used to write in journals alot when I was younger. Sure, most of it was crap, but I still think there was worth in it.

• Stop thinking so much and start doing. Just take a step-- in any direction-- and see what happens. (yeah this isn't quantitative-- or as we say in the work world-- a S.M.A.R.T goal)...and I'm not sure how I'll keep it.

• Continue to work on eating less preserved foods. Grow more of our own.

• Spend more time in outside, in forests- hiking, snowshoeing, riding. I love that stuff, yet somehow always make excuses not to do it.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?



Friends Bridget and Dan have a new son, born in November.

4. Did anyone close to you die?



My grandmother. Although I wouldn't say we were close.

5. What countries did you visit?



France.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? Some direction, especially in the 'what's next in our life' department.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why. Nothing specific.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Hm. Probably planning and going to France. It was a dream for a longtime to visit Provence, and it did not disappoint.

9. What was your biggest failure? I don't think anything was a failure this year particularly.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? No, thank goodness!

11. What was the best thing you bought? Our new car!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Darby O' Gilligan! though, his behavior more often merits punishment.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Oh Geez. Some people at work, for starters.

14. Where did most of your money go? Vacations, Cars, House.

15. What did you get really excited about? Planning trips and going on them. Planning remodeling the house and then doing it. Pretending we're moving and looking for pretend houses to live in.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009? That "I've got a Feeling" song by the Black Eyed Peas.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:


– happier or sadder? Happier, or the same.
– thinner or fatter? Same. Maybe a bit stronger, and definitely able to run farther and easier than a year ago.
– richer or poorer? Slightly richer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

 Spending time in a way that makes me happy. Be more creative, visit friends more often. Write more letters.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Work. Commuting. Cleaning. Scheming with no result. Making excuses.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

First at Jed's parents, then down to mine. It wouldn't be Christmas without the running undercurrent of whose side of the family we are spending more time with and on what day, etc... Christmas eve was ours, which was nice. We baked chicken, opened presents and went to the midnight service.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009? I don't think so...

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Oh, probably still the Office. I don't watch much tv, but I always look forward to getting those DVDS for Christmas.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
 No.

24. What was the best book you read? I haven't read too much. I did enjoy Animal Vegetable Miracle and loved The Backyard Homestead so I now own it.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Avett Brothers.

26. What did you want and get? Our kitchen finalized- the planning desk, the backsplash. It is finally DONE and looks so great.

27. What did you want and not get? A horse. This fall we fantasized about running up to Wisconsin to work with a horse that we could ride and play with for FREE... and then, there were inklings that that horse could be OURS... and none of it came to pass.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? My birthday was almost last year already, and we went snowshoeing at the Arboretum.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Knowing what I want to do in life and working towards it.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009? Either dressed up for work or dressed down for home. Black pants and heels or comfy pj pants.

32. What kept you sane?

Wine.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I did enjoy the lovely little snippets of Michelle Obama we got to see this year.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

I'm not going to say I was stirred, but having quality, affordable healthcare is important to me. Having slight experience with universal healthcare in other countries, I only hope our country can figure something ASAP. I think the part that stirred me the most was watching the ignorant arguments about the issues, not the issues themselves.

35. Who did you miss?
I miss my friend Melissa. It's been too long since we've seen each other, and it's always a nice 'reset' for me when we see each other...

36. Who was the best new person you met?

This is also an area to work on. I'm afraid that I'm losing more than gaining in the friends/warm acquaintances department. Some of Jed's work friends and one of my new employees are nice people, but I don't know that I'd classify them as 'best' new people we met.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009. Some people really do get by on looks and lies. It's crazy, really...

Best wishes in 2010!














1 comment:

  1. I see that you have England listed as one of your interests! Perhaps you would be interested in following my new blog:

    http://picturesofgreatbritain.blogspot.com/

    As often as possible I will post pictures from beauty spots all around Great Britain for the viewing pleasure of Anglophiles everywhere!

    ReplyDelete