June 16, 2009

so.... not the lemonade diet.

There was a fleeting minute (er... three hours) that I did intense FDA-caliber research on the esteemed Master Cleanse... AKA... the Lemonade Diet. I was interested in the de-toxing effects, including losing cravings and renewing my energy after reading this article in the Tribune two weeks ago.

It happened like this-- I was eating eggs and drinking coffee a few Sundays ago, and *BING* -- I thought doing a detox sounded like the perfect idea. I was motivated, ready to start... and then....

...then there was training offsite at O'Hare for 3 days. And a customer lunch the next week... and I thought, heck, there's no way to bring in sales like refusing to eat with your prospective clients, instead sipping delicately from a jug of cayenne-infused lemon water.

UM NO.

At least not now. I'm not totally over it, but I've lost motivation.

So we started working out again, regularly (well, 2 days so far, with the goal of every night until France.) Starting last Monday, I've been going to the gym after work. That's right, folks-- off at 5, to the workout place hopefully by 6. Home by 7 for dinner. It makes for a heck of a long day and really short night, but if I can't drink lemonade to up my energy and renew my life, I guess I have to get on the treadmill. While I'm at the same weight, give or take, for the last few years, I feel increasingly untoned. Stomach, arms, legs.... all of it. Even Jed's been thinking that his metabolism is slowing down a bit (like from hamster speed to guinea pig speed... kidding kidding...) so he's on the workout plan too...

I've already logged a few miles each night so far, and DUDE, I don't like running very much. At all. But I'm determined-- hitting the gym for these last two weeks before France will help me feel a bit more positive-- like I have a *plan* and know that I'm seeing results (a plan to execute always helps greatly with my positivity.) I mean, heck, we're paying for the gym membership anyway, so I might as well go.

Also-- what I've decided to add to keep me committed is a few sessions with a trainer. It was pretty affordable, and since our gym is totally home-towny... that trainer is also the owner.

His bio:

Chris has been in the fitness industry for over 10 years. He specializes in youth sport specific training and has worked with athletes in sports ranging from tennis to football to motocross. Chris has won several power lifting competitions, so if you are looking to gain muscle, strength, or power, he is your man!

So I'm going to have to steer Chris a bit more in the 'youth sports' direction and less in the 'power lifting' direction. But seriously, at least I didn't get Patty the coked-out advanced step aerobics-trainer.

Tomorrow at 8:15, be there or be square... I hope I'll have enough strength to write.

1 comment:

  1. Rock it out Lyss! I think it's great that you're committed to something so healthy that will give you good results.

    Have fun with Chris-
    LP

    ReplyDelete