May 28, 2009

why I hate used car dealers...

email from me: "Hi, I saw this car online and wondered if it was still available."

email from him: "Yes it is, it's one of the finest cars on our lot, a local trade-in with a sparkling Carfax, loaded with bells and whistles..blah blah blah"

30 seconds later: A Newsletter from the Dealership welcoming me to the 'family'

30 seconds later: A call from the used car sales manager to let me know that he emailed me.

email from me: "Thanks for the email/call/email. On your site, the car says Front Wheel Drive, but in the seller's notes, it says All Wheel Drive. Can you clarify which it is?"

email from him: "Yes I can clarify for you. Do you have a preference?"

:::slanty-eyed glare from me :::

DUDE. A simple question requires a simple answer. Does the car have a magical capability to SWITCH between either FWD or AWD?

Can I PICK?

I'm toying between:

1. not responding and dropping his smarmy-car-dealer-ass (but I really like the car)
2. being completely sarcastic...
3. email him back, simply stating "yes"

OR

emailing back and just saying "I don't want the runaround, just a simple answer. I live over 1 hr from the dealership, and I'm just trying to gather all the details I need to make an informed decision, and I'd prefer to do that in as few emails as possible."

OR

"Thanks for the ridiculous comment, I got a great blog post out of that..."

4 comments:

  1. What did I tell you????
    I can picture him-slicked-back
    hair, sleezy grin, white shirt
    and expensive tie,and shoes
    shined to reflect his "I-can-see
    -you-coming" attitude.
    Give me CARMAX anyday!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Sounds like he's really desperate...just where you want him...
    :o)
    LP

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should just buy a car from Uncle Steve. I bet he'd cut you a deal cause you're family and totally not screw you over. Oh wait.. yes he would.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, Jenna. Thanks for the snort of laughter you just made me demonstrate at my desk :o)
    LP

    ReplyDelete